MARCADAU PANTICOSA TOUR
Criss cross the border between Spain’s Tena Valley and France’s Marcadau Valley
READY TO SKI ?
The Marcadau Valley is in the Pyrenees National Park and was historically a place of commerce and exchange between the high Aragon and French valleys north and south of it. The word ‘Marcadau’ means market in local dialects. The new (and comparatively luxurious) Bachimana Refuge (2200m) in Spain allows us to discover this region which is particularly suited to ski touring. We will spend five days between the newly renovated Wallon Refuge and the Bachimaña Refuge with a first day tour somewhere in the Luz valley to settle in before setting off up the mountain.
• Touring between the French Marcadau and Spanish Tena valleys
• New ski touring area opened up by the new Bachimana Refuge in Spain
• Comfortable base in newly renovated Refuge Wallon
• Plenty of options depending on conditions and the group
• Excellent all round intermediate skiing
GRADE : D1 : A2 : F2
check our grade coding here
This price includes :
• 6 days guided ski touring with a qualified UIAGM high mountain guide
• 3 nights B&B accommodation in Hotel Les Templiers
(Hotel in double/twin room. Single supplement at the hotel 20€/night)
• 4 nights between the Wallon and Bachimana refuges.
• All dinners & breakfasts, picnic lunches when in refuges.
• Lift passes, hire gear
• Lunches on two days (bakery and shops close by, fridge in lounge to store food)
Transfer from Lourdes train station to our base in Luz St Sauveur. Meet with your guide for a chat over pre-dinner drinks about the week, check your equipment and collect hire gear if necessary.
We start with a warm up day out somewhere in the Luz Valley. The group and guide will choose depending on conditions and desires.
Transfer to Pont d’Espagne (1450m), the departure point for the Marcadau Valley and Refuge Wallon (1865m). Good warm up skinning.
Tackle the Port du Marcadau (2540m) and ski down to the all new Refuge Bachimana (2200m)
We head for the Col de Piedrafita (2780m), and ski down to Respumuso Refuge.
Today we climb the Pene d’Aragon (2916m) before a lovely long descent back down to Refuge Wallon in France.
From Refuge Wallon we climb to the Lac du Pourtet (2420m), looping around to reach our starting point at the Pont d’Espagne. Return to Luz for the final night or option of transfer to Lourdes if you have an evening, or early morning train.
Transfer to Lourdes train station for your return transport.